Previously, on the Book 1 cover process, we were this far:
The inks were almost done, but there were a few tweaks still required — mainly this bit from where the Guardian’s tail got extended:
Then there was a bit of shading I wanted added to the inks on the legs of the Ravager. All of it culminated in the final inks here:
Now the colors got started. We did some fiddling with them (and when I say ‘we’, I mean my friend colored things and I went ‘eeeeh I dunno about thaaaat’ or ‘yaaaaay I love it!’) and started getting things together.
More colors, including the scales I asked for on the brow, but with a muzzle area I disliked — a bit too dark and rubbery for my preference. So she started adjusting the muzzle area.
She had left a dark stripe that looked like a mustache from a distance, which I had to point out (with a rather fine line compared to my usual huge orange editing brush). Yes, I’m picky.
Moving on from that, she tried to work on the fin but ended up with something neither of us really liked.
So far the Guardian looks like this:
We decided that the Ravager should be mostly yellow-orange in the wings, red in the feet and with a blue eye, since that is how the Imperial crest describes it. So here’s the new eye up close:
And then the first bit of body-work:
And the last of the day’s colors:
Still have some kinks to work out, but getting close!